The Coal Loader is a historic landmark in Waverton, NSW, operational from 1920 until 1992. In 1997, the Coal Loader site was declared an open space by the NSW government and is now managed by the North Sydney Council.
Following development, the Coal Loader now incorporates an extensive roof community garden and houses a centre for sustainability for the community.
To collect stormwater for filtering through raingardens, Kingspan Water & Energy supplied fifty 5000-litre Modline water tanks with a total capacity of 250,000 litres. The raingardens have been established in the old coal loading chutes and stored in one of the old tunnels beneath the platform.
The green roof project will include community ‘urban harvest’ plots (vegetables, fruit trees, aquaculture) irrigated by the recycled stormwater as well as a performance space, extensive seating and viewing areas, and heritage interpretation of the original coal loading operations.