Hollow core’ concrete slabs were chosen for their low embodied energy properties. Low Volatile Organic Compound carpet and paints reduce the evaporation of chemicals into the air, so as to be friendly to human health as well as to the environment.
The timber used for the project is either plantation or recycled. The stadium has a fully integrated waste management and recycling system, and uses a building automation system to minimise power use. Bike storage facilities and good access to trains and trams encourage the use of eco-friendly transport options.
Provide a facility for four separate football codes, with spectator seating as close to the action as possible. Design and build a stadium that responds to the unique location inside a multi-code sports campus. It should be easily accessed by spectators and capable of a high level of usage by elite players and clubs.
AAMI Park continues the strong architectural lineage of Melbourne and Olympic Parks evidenced since 1956 by the Myer Music Bowl and Olympic Pool Complex, and later by Rod Laver Arena and the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG).
It represents a move forward by the city to provide residents and visitors alike with a first-class facility that embodies a pioneering approach to public architecture and, in turn, public life.
The activated relationship to the streetscape, the civic-scaled entry stairs, and the flanking urban plazas all integrate the stadium into its landscaped context, providing a strong visual connection to the city, river and parklands.
A key philosophy was to provide the perfect seating bowl, with seats rising up to optimise the preferred east and west flanks with excellent sightlines and proximity to the action, while allowing close seats for the goal end fans at north and south.
This form was articulated in a series of bays to maximise the sense of theatre and engagement that is so important to creating great events.
- Winner, 2012, World’s Most Iconic and Culturally Significant Stadium Award, Stadium World Congress, Doha
- Winner, 2011 Design and Collaboration award from the Lightweight Structure Association of Australasia (LSAA)
- Winner, Victoria Architecture Medal, AIA (VIC), 2011
- Winner, Public Architecture William Wardell Award, AIA (VIC), 2011
- Winner, Melbourne Prize, AIA (VIC), 2011
- Winner, Colorbond Award for Steel Architecture, AIA (VIC), 2011
- Finalist, Contribution to Profile, Melbourne Award, 2011
- Shortlisted, Profile Category, Melbourne Awards, 2011
- Winner, Award for Sports and Leisure Structures, Institution of Structural Engineers, 2010 (Arup)
- Award of Excellence, IES Vic Lighting Design Awards, 2010 (Electrolight)
- Shortlisted, WAN Awards, Civic Building Sector Building of the Year, 2010
- Winner, Architectural Steel Design Award, ASI National Steel Design Awards, 2010
- Winner, Architectural Steel Design Award – Large Project, ASI Steel Design Awards Vic & Tas, 2010
- Winner, Structural Engineering Steel Design Award, ASI National Steel Design Awards, 2010
- Winner, Structural Engineering Steel Design Award, ASI Steel Design Awards Vic & Tas, 2010
- Best building sites, Wallpaper Design Awards 2010
- Winner of the Bentley Award, an international award for excellence in parametric modelling for structures (Arup)
GROCON CONSTRUCTION, CONCRETE
BIOFRAME CLADDING & ROOF
THYSSENKRUPP, INSULATED ALUMINIUM METAL PANELS, ML-100-V
COLORBOND METAL GUTTERS
INTERNATIONAL PAINT, STEEL ROOF STRUCTURE CORROSION PROTECTION, INTERFINE 979
GLAZING - WINDOWS & DOORS
ALUMINIUM INDUSTRIES, GLAZING TO GROUND AND LEVEL 1
GLAZING - ROOF/FAÇADE
CUSTOM GLASS & FITTINGS, ROOF GLAZING WITH CERAMIC FRIT
D+E AIR CONDITIONING
PLAZA INTERIORS, DINING ROOM & GENERAL AREAS, PLASTERBOARD COFFER AND EXTENZO PLASTERBOARD AND TILES
LIGHTING / FITTINGS
GODFREY HIRST AUSTRALIA
FIBONACCI STONE, CORPORATE AREAS, LIFT AND LOBBY FLOORING, GRAPHITE AND CARBON
MARANT INDUSTRIES, CUSTOM JOINERY
K FIVE, DINING ROOM TABLES/CHAIRS
CORPORATE CULTURE, OFFICE CHAIRS
STYLECRAFT AUSTRALIA, BAR STOOLS
ATHERTON, FOOD PREPARATION AREAS
ANDALE HOTEL SERVICES, BEER RETICULATION
AUDIO-VISUAL EQUIPMENT / FITTINGS
RUTLEDGE ENGINEERING (AUST), INTERNAL
KITCHEN / BATHROOM FITTINGS / FIXTURES
CAROMA, WET AREAS
ENTIRE FIRE PROTECTION
KLM GROUP LIMITED