The Forest Lodge ECO House features an intelligent, innovative design founded on eco-design principals, with many of the systems custom-designed and built specifically for the home.
While the building readily compliments its local surroundings, it pushes the boundaries of contemporary design via the use of the latest technologies. This is in part due to the site which, set between adjoining buildings, limited the orientation of the house.
An additional challenge was presented to the team in the form of the narrow street – the interior design and material choice of the project was critical to achieving a good thermal performing house, and if materials could not get on site, the sustainable ethos would be tarnished. However, this was resolved by careful planning during the design stage to ensure every aspect of construction, including logistics and product handling, would be covered.
- Solar underground heat storage cell, solar concrete slab heating, solar hot water
- Evaporative cooling
- Natural air ventilation system
- LED lighting throughout
- Underground water storage tank
- Argon filled low-E double glazed windows
- Low VOC paints and recycled materials such as the bricks and timber flooring
Photography by Belinda Mason & Nick Wilson